Saturday, August 29, 2020

Yes, I Am

" Hmmm," said the dr as he rolled his chair away from the examining table.  "Your pregnancy test says your not pregnant but your womb is hardened like you are. But...you are not pregnant so..

"Yes, I am", she said.

The pregnancy test came back negative. 

"I'm pregnant", she said.

Out in the parking lot she slid into the car where he said, "well, what did they say?"  

"I'm pregnant", she answered. 

*******************************************

Later that night she was told to move all of the boxes on the left side of the basement  to the right side of the basement.  She knew why. It hit her like a hammer to her heart.

*******************************************

That night as she lay in her bed in the basement, surrounded by brick walls and a KeroSun heater to her left at her feet for warmth,  she lay her hand on her belly and planned for the future.

She knew in her heart that the baby was going to be a girl.  

"You're going to be my best friend, " she whispered in the darkness, "and I am going to be YOUR best friend. We are going to love each other."

"It doesn't seem right that I am going to have to give you a name.  What if I pick something that you don't like?"

"I babysit for two little girls, Karla and Andrea. They are both really pretty babies. Andrea is the youngest and she's really easy to take care of.  I could name you that and you could pronounce it really fancy like AUNDREA. Or you could go by Ann.  Or, if you are tomboyish like me, you could go by Andy.  You have quite a few options so that you can almost pick your own name." 

She kept her hand on her belly as she drifted off to sleep.

"I love you Andrea. I can't wait until I can see you. "

No comments:

Post a Comment